Saturday, July 9, 2011

Classics We Love to Hate


In researching for my new novel, I wanted to know what was the most boring classic book or poet anyone was forced to read in high school. A few authors came to mind...well, to be quite honest, many names came to mind. Looking back on my HS education now, I'm very pissed at myself for having been a Cliff Notes reader in those days. I'd been lucky enough to be in an advanced Lit class, but instead of reading all the assigned works, I took the easy way out. Of the few works I actually forced myself to read cover to cover, I remember Gatsby being a great yawn-fest (sorry, Ms. Creel). However, in my research I found many online fans of the work. Further along, I noticed for every classic book I recall hating, there was a large following. And the classics I actually enjoyed were often mentioned by folks who hated them. Come on, The Canterbury Tales rocked! How else are you gonna see that much sex and dirty humor in a high school class?

So, my question still lingers unanswered: What is the most boring classic book/author/poet for required reading in high school?

2 comments:

Jana said...

The most boring book I had to read in high school was Nathaniel Hawthorne's Scarlet Letter.

I loved the Canterbury Tales...definitely my all time favorite with Lord of the Flies a close second.

Sandi said...

Oh, great classics, Jana! Watching the movie Easy A last night gave me a new appreciation for The Scarlet Letter. I confess I haven't read Lord of the Flies, but I'd like to give it a try.