Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Guys & YA Romance: Teen Talk Tuesday

You've seen it written on his face: the awkward moment when a boy is reading a book that's  become too mushy and romantic to his taste. This week we're learning more about the "ick" factor for guys.

One Teen Talk Tuesday commenter asked, "How much romance is acceptable to boys in YA dystopian or fantasy? And does the sex of the narrator make a difference?" Here's what three of my male students had to say:


      Ben, 18: I'd rather there be no romance at all in the fantasies I read. If there's a steady romance going on throughout the book, I don't want to read it at all. I guess if it's off and on, that's okay. But if there's going to be romance involved sometimes, I'd rather it be in the boy's voice.


     Max, 18: I don't like novels with several sex scenes or lots of moments with kissing or sexual feelings. But I think even fantasy novels need SOME romance to keep them real. They can have a little emotion on each page and I'd be okay with that. Just no heavy stuff. It doesn't matter to me if it has a male or female narrator.


    Lance, 15: There's usually not any romance in the fantasies I read. If there was, I wouldn't be able to read a book where half of every page is about the romance. Whether the narrator is a boy or a girl doesn't make a difference to me.


As always, if you have any questions you'd like me to ask my students, please post them in the comments. The kids are eager to share their wisdom! Next week, a commenter's request on Teen Talk Tuesday: Something More Than "Just Friends."

1 comment:

Sarah Nego(vetich) said...

So helpful. I'm planning my first YA with a male target audience so knowing where to draw the line is crucial. Thanks again for giving us the inside scoop.