Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Review: The Unquiet by Jeannine Garsee


Review: The Unquiet by Jeannine Garsee
Published by Bloomsbury
July 2012

Rinn suffers from a bipolar disorder, which has caused her family to dissolve. Worse, her condition led to her grandmother's death, and Rinn is haunted by the memory of the horrible tragedy. After a suicide attempt, she and her mom relocate to Mom's hometown, where she hopes to keep her past hidden from her new friends, and takes meds for her condition. However, Rinn's new house hides secrets of its own. Rinn questions her sanity as strange things also happen at school. Her friends share the story of a girl who drowned in the school swimming pool years earlier. Are the bizarre events in the darkened tunnel Rinn's imagination, or is the dead girl still trapped inside the condemned building?


This gothic story reminded me of an old-school horror movie, complete with a seance, a ghost, and gruesome deaths. The beginning was a little slow, but once I learned about Rinn's history, I could identify with her. Her disorder gave the story a lot of tension, and I found myself unable to stop reading. I knew early in the story what was happening and why, but there was enough happening to the characters that I didn't care. I wanted to know what ordeals they would face. Again, just like an old high school horror flick. 


I enjoyed the story immensely, and look forward to more by this author. This is a fun, creepy read with an interesting protagonist. 

Reviewer copy provided by Bloomsbury and Netgalley.

2 comments:

mollyspringwrites said...

I've now read a couple good reviews of this and am looking forward to its release! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sandi said...

You're welcome. I hope you like it.