Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Ready or Not, It's Time for Back to School!









In two weeks, school will start here. The kids will be back in our library, looking for more Teen Talk Tuesday questions. I'll probably start off by by asking them what they did over the summer. (Hmm...that's a loaded question!)

As for me, I read...and read...and read.

I'm on the state committee for this year's Teen Book Award, so I was given a list of over a dozen different books to read during the months of May, June, and July. Then we discussed each title in an online forum. Our committee is comprised of public and school librarians. We can choose which genres we want to read, and then we're given the titles a steering committee has pre-selected.

I thought the experience was pretty daunting but worthwhile. The hardest part for me was scrambling to get the titles. They're all books that were published a year ago, so some were bestsellers (easily found) and some were nearly impossible for me to locate by my deadline. My chosen genre was "adrenalin," which includes paranormal, sci-fi, and fantasy.

Add these books to the ones I'm already obligated to read for my editor, and I was reading about 3 YA novels a week. Somehow I made it through the whole "adrenalin" list, and found some new favorite reads. At the end of July, we were asked to rank our top 5 picks. It was a very hard decision!

I can't wait to share the best books with my students when they return. In the coming months, I'll be posting a few reviews on the blog. My favorite read of the summer was Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, hitting the stores this week! What great book did you read this summer?






2 comments:

Brinda said...

I can't wait to see your list. Three books a week? That is incredible.

Donna L Martin said...

Greetings!

I'm hopping over from GUTGAA and thought I would start checking out participating blogs early. Nice to meet you...you have a lovely blog!

Donna L Martin
www.donnalmartin.com
www.donasdays.blogspot.com