Monday, June 23, 2014

Literary Road Trip

Have you ever traveled to a destination simply because you read about it in a novel?

 

The hubs and I just celebrated our wedding anniversary, and I chose the destination for our celebration. I've been all over the South visiting places I've read about. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? Savannah, Georgia--been there. The Water is Wide? Beaufort, South Carolina--been there. Interview with a Vampire? New Orleans--been there. The Gold Bug? Sullivan's Island--been there. You get the idea. 

So where hadn't I been? 

The home of Ernest Hemingway. Old Man and the Sea? Key West, Florida--now I've been there, too.


This is the paw of one of the 40+ cats roaming Hemingway's property. Many of the cats are descended from the author's famous unusual 6-toed feline, including this one.


I love traveling and seeing the places I'd only imagined when I read about them. Occasionally my travels lead to my writing, too. That's where I got the inspiration for my YA supernatural, BYRONIC, which comes out tomorrow. ((YAY!!!!!)) There's just something compelling and mysterious about the old live oaks and their Spanish moss--not to mention the historic plantations.

Now that I've finally visited Key West, I guess I'll have to find a new literary town to visit. :-) 

About BYRONIC:
When the creatures in her dark drawings come to life, Chelsea finds that the mysterious Geoff is the only person she can confide in. But she can't help wondering who she’s kissing: her tender confidant or the dangerous Byronic rebel bent on shocking his detached father.

Starting over in the South Carolina Lowcountry is just what sixteen-year-old Chelsea needs. Unfortunately, moving also means living with her mom's snobbish British novelist employer and his moody son Geoffrey. Knowing that her new home likely used to be a slave holding plantation doesn't make her feel any more at home.

Troubled and reckless after his brother's mysterious death, Geoff often mimics his father’s literary favorite, Lord Byron, acting "mad, bad, and dangerous to know." She's determined to keep her distance and buries herself in her art, though the darkness of her drawings troubles her and others who see them. When people in the Gullah and Geechee community point out that she has been drawing Boo Hags and haints -powerful and terrifying creatures of local legend and superstition- she starts to wonder about her own heritage and her connection to the Sea Islands. She begins to question her own grasp on reality when it seems those creatures start making their way out of her drawings and into real life.

It's clear that Geoff has some secrets of his own, but he might be the only person she can confide in. Chelsea must decide who she can trust, when nothing in the Lowcountry is what it seems.

Add BYRONIC on Goodreads









No comments: